[R] table with values as dots in increasing sizes

fugelpitch jonas at runtimerecords.net
Fri Nov 5 09:45:25 CET 2010

I was just thinking of a way to present data and if it is possible in R.

I have a data frame that looks as follows (this is just mockup data).

df
location,"species1","species2","species3","species4","species5"
"loc1",0.44,0.28,0.37,-0.24,0.41
"loc2",0.54,0.62,0.34,0.52,0.71
"loc3",-0.33,0.75,-0.34,0.48,0.61

location is a factor while all the species are numerical vectors.

I would like to present this as a table (or something that looks like a
table) but instead of the numbers I would like to present circles (pch = 19)
that increases in size with increasing number. Is it also possible to make
it change color if the value is negative. (E.g. larger blue circles
represent larger +values while larger red circles represent larger -values)?

Jonas