[R] count occurrence and distance of characters in string

Nordlund, Dan (DSHS/RDA) NordlDJ at dshs.wa.gov
Fri Nov 5 00:16:49 CET 2010

Without a reproducible example, I can only guess.  But this should get you started.

s <- 'abcdeabcxdeabcdeaxabcdeabcdeabcdxeabc'
chr.pos <- which(unlist(strsplit(s,NULL)) == 'x')
chr.count <- length(chr.pos)
chr.dist <- diff(chr.pos)-1
chr.pos
chr.count
chr.dist

Hope this is helpful,

Dan

Daniel J. Nordlund
Planning, Performance, and Accountability
Research and Data Analysis Division
Olympia, WA 98504-5204