[R] Lattice plots for images

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Nov 3 16:38:18 CET 2010

On Nov 3, 2010, at 11:13 AM, Neba Funwi-Gabga wrote:

> Hello UseRs,
> I need help on how to plot several raster images (such as those
> obtained
> from a kernel-smoothed intensity function) in a layout
> such as that obtained from the lattice package. I would like to obtain
> something such as obtained from using the "levelplot" or "xyplot"
> in lattice. I currently use:
>> par(mfrow=c(3,3)
> to set the workspace, but the resulting plots leave a lot of blank
> space
> between individual plots. If I can get it to the lattice format,
> I think it will save me some white space.

(It's not clear what plotting paradigm you are using since you do not
name a particular function or package, but this assumes you will be
using lattice. If you are using base graphics, then the answer is
undoubtedly ?par

In the archives are examples you might use to look up in the
documentation and then to modify to fit you specifications:

trellis.par.set(list(layout.widths = list(left.padding = -1)))
trellis.par.set(list(layout.widths = list(right.padding = -1,
  ylab.axis.padding = -0.5)))

theme.novpadding <- list(layout.heights =
     list(top.padding = 0,
          main.key.padding = 0,
          key.axis.padding = 0,
          axis.xlab.padding = 0,
          xlab.key.padding = 0,
          key.sub.padding = 0,
          bottom.padding = 0))

Both citations hound with search "space between lattice plots"

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT