[R] [klaR package] [NaiveBayes] warning message numerical 0 probability

Fabon Dzogang fabon.dzogang at lip6.fr
Wed Nov 3 16:26:01 CET 2010

Hi,

I run R 2.10.1 under ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx) and klaR version 0.6-4.

I compute a model over a 2 classes dataset (composed of 700 examples).
To that aim, I use the function NaiveBayes provided in the package
klaR.
When I then use the prediction function : predict(my_model, new_data).
I get the following warning :

"In FUN(1:747[[747L]], ...) : Numerical 0 probability with observation 458"

As I did not find any documentation or any discussion concerning this
warning message, I looked in the klaR source code and found the
following line in predict.NaiveBayes.R :

"warning("Numerical 0 probability with observation ", i)"

Unfortunately, it is hard to get a clear picture of the whole process
reading the code. I wonder if someone could help me with the meaning
of this warning message.

Sorry I did not provide an example, but I could not simulate the same
message over a small toy example.

Thank you,

Fabon Dzogang.