[R] Odp: connecting points into a smooth curve

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 1 14:19:18 CET 2010

> > Doing much of anything meaningful with 5 points would probably require a
> model
> > as the other
> > poster suggested- your model would need to be solved depending on its
> particulars.
> >
> > You sometimes see these kinds of wild interpolation issues with the
> drawing
> > programs and free-form input "smoothing" where it tries to fit a smooth
> curve
> > to your mouse moves.
>
> And of course in Excel graphs you can find something like "smooth"
> connection to points. Therefore the method depends on what the OP means by
> smooth curve.

I think some of these let you manually set various parameters too to make
it look right - if the OP follows my advice,tries to define smooth in terms
of something data-relevant probably related to properties of derivatives,
he will probably get to a point
where he can have more parameters than data and can set these things
to suite his imagination or artistic inclinations :)