[R] Fancy Page layout

baptiste auguie baptiste.auguie at googlemail.com
Mon May 31 20:47:01 CEST 2010

Hi,

ggplot2 or lattice could help you in creating the plots. Adding a
summary will however require some play with Grid graphics; either
using gridBase to mix lattice / ggplot2 output with base R graphics
(e.g. textplot() from some package I forget), or you'll need to
produce the textual summary in some form that Grid understands (of
course, LaTeX / Sweave is a good option for this step too). A pure
Grid graphics example is illustrated below,

library(ggplot2)
library(gridExtra) # R-forge

str(diamonds)

onelevel <- function(d){

  plots <- qplot(depth, table, data=d, colour=clarity) + facet_wrap(~cut)
  tab <- tableGrob(head(d))
  plotsandtable <- c(list(plots), list(tab), list(plot=FALSE,
main=paste(unique(d$color))))
  do.call(arrange, plotsandtable)

}

l <- dlply(diamonds, .(color), onelevel)

pdf("test.pdf")
l_ply(l, function(page) {grid.newpage(); grid.draw(page)} )
dev.off()

HTH,

baptiste