[R] R 2.11.1 is released

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Mon May 31 13:38:56 CEST 2010

On 05/31/10 10:16 AM, Peter Dalgaard wrote:
> I've rolled up R-2.11.1.tar.gz a short while ago. This is an update release, which fixes a number of mostly minor issues. The most annoying one was probably the problem with format.POSIXlt causing C stack overflow on long date vectors. See the full list of changes below.
>

>                  CHANGES IN R VERSION 2.11.1
>

> INSTALLATION
>
>      o   Command 'gnutar' is preferred to 'tar' when configure sets
>          TAR.  This is needed on Mac OS 10.6, where the default tar,
>          bsdtar 2.6.2, has been reported to produce archives with
>          illegal extensions to tar (according to the POSIX standard).

Note 'gnutar' is not part of POSIX, so this might cause more problems than it
solves.

On Solaris, /usr/sfw/bin/gtar is the GNU version of tar, though I don't know for
sure if one can guarantee that will always be on all Solaris systems. It is
certainly the case of a full-install on Solaris 10 on SPARC, and I find that
file exists on my OpenSolaris 06/2009 x64 release running on my Sun Ultra 27,
though whether it actually exists on a system which has not had it specifically
installed I don't know.

I would have thought the best decision was to get people to put a working
version of 'tar' in their path first - not use some non-standard name.

Dave