[R] zipped files as a data type

David Scott d.scott at auckland.ac.nz
Sat May 29 02:19:00 CEST 2010

Ron Burns wrote:
> Hi all-
>
> I have a lot of small (xml) data files that are saved by classification
> in directories named in accordance with the classification. I would like
> to zip up these directories and include the zipped file as part of the
> data in a package (which I know how to do.)
>
> Are there R functions for dealing with zipped files as a data type?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
> 	Ron
>

 > help.search("zip")

gives

base::connections       Functions to Manipulate Connections
base::environment variables
                         Environment Variables
base::memCompress       In-memory Compression and Decompression
utils::unzip            Extract or List Zip Archives
utils::zip.file.extract
                         Extract File from a Zip Archive
utils::win.version      Auxiliary Functions for the Windows Port

which seems to provide some leads

David Scott

David Scott	Department of Statistics
		The University of Auckland, PB 92019
		Auckland 1142,    NEW ZEALAND
Phone: +64 9 923 5055, or +64 9 373 7599 ext 85055
Email:	d.scott at auckland.ac.nz,  Fax: +64 9 373 7018

Director of Consulting, Department of Statistics