[R] median test

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Fri May 28 18:03:34 CEST 2010

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 6:58 AM, linda Porz <linda.porz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I can't have different data these data came from mice that have lived under
> certain condition in the lab! I have just read the mentioned publication
> "Should the median test be retired from general use?" It says in the
> conclusion "If one felt that the data could not come from a Cauchy or slash
> distribution, the Wilcoxon should be used."! What is this? Is there is any
> test in R for a Cauchy or slash distribution? Can I used the unpaired
> Wilcoxon, or I have a Cauchy distributed data?

**Disclaimer: I have no idea what your data represents or how
(in)appropriate any of these tests may be**

R can do the tests you mentioned (and many more).

Wilcoxon test:
wilcox.test(x=group1, y=group2, paired=FALSE)
see ?wilcox.test

For testing the distribution look at:
?ks.test and ?pcauchy
The code might be something along the lines of:
ks.test(x=yourdata, y="pcauchy")

Again I want to stress that you should know your data and what tests
you are doing and why you are doing them.  R will do just about
whatever you want, including many things that you probably should not
do.

Josh