[R] appending objects to file created with save()

Jens Oehlschlägel jens.oehlschlaegel at truecluster.com
Tue May 25 20:36:37 CEST 2010

If you work with large data you might want to look at the ff package - useful if your data is close or above your RAM. The package has ffsave where with option add=TRUE you can add data to an existing ff archive. With ff data is stored outside of R in files, only meta-data is stored within R. An ff archive consists of two files, a zip file which stores the data (and to which you can add) and a standard .RData file which stores the meta-data using standard save().
HTH
Jens