[R] Best Server Options

Cedrick W. Johnson cedrick at cedrickjohnson.com
Tue May 25 04:55:44 CEST 2010

this *may* help, my setup is as follows:

I have 2 boxes, one a Windows Server 2008 instance. I installed R 2.10.1
and 2.11 on them, and used the Remote App function to create a remote
app "icon" that users (x 4 currently) put on their desktop. Yes, that
setup needs Terminal Services to work, but so far I haven't seen any
major complaints.

The second box is just running ubuntu, again for multiple users (x 3
currently) along with 2 Rserve daemon instances running on diff ports. I
haven't noticed anything wrong with running that as well.

The only thing I see occasionally is if all users are running a certain
section of some homegrown scripts that creates a SNOW cluster on the 8
core win08 server, there's 4 x 8 snow instances... takes a bit more time
to execute rather than just 1 or 2 users. I haven't quantified yet how
much more time exactly, but no complaints.

hth