[R] library location and error messages when loading packages

Daisy Englert Duursma daisy.duursma at gmail.com
Mon May 24 03:59:16 CEST 2010

Hello,

I am running R on a server that several people share. Previously we
all had separate libraries for R.
I have set up R so everyone on the server shares the same library and
I downloaded the latest version of R and installed it on the
main drive of our server in the  "Program Files" folder (obvious
enough).

I changed the Environmental Variables in the advanced system setting
so R_LIBS  is C:\\RLIBRARY and restarted the server.

The commands :
>.libPaths()
[1] "C:\\RLIBRARY"                    "C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-211~1.0/library"

> .Library
[1] "C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-211~1.0/library"

 When I try to run several packages it says It can not load them
(although many packages do work). So I tried
to install the  packages again (I deleted the old ones, downloaded a zip file
of the new ones  and this is what happened :

> library(Hmisc)
Error in library.dynam(lib, package, package.lib) :
 shared library 'cluster' not found
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'Hmisc'

utils:::menuInstallPkgs()
trying URL 'http://cran.ms.unimelb.edu.au/bin/windows/contrib/2.11/cluster_1.12.3.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 340188 bytes (332 Kb)
opened URL
downloaded 332 Kb
package 'cluster' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
The downloaded packages are in
       C:\Users\Daisy
Englert\AppData\Local\Temp\2\RtmpWGZV31\downloaded_packages

>library(cluster)
Error in get(Info[i, 1], envir = env) :
 internal error -3 in R_decompress1
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'cluster'

******But, I can fix this by setting the lib.loc

> library(cluster, lib.loc =  "C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-211~1.0/library" )

******Unfortunately this is not where the updated packages went, the
updated package went to  "C:\\RLIBRARY" . I have messed something up
and I do not know how to fix it.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks,
Daisy