[R] Getting sink to work with "message" on R 2.11.0 - what didI miss?

Faiz Rasool faiz7r at gmail.com
Sat May 22 10:38:33 CEST 2010

Thank you to all of those who are trying to help me.

I am using Windows XP, and using a screen reader called JAWS. When I type
something at the console, I hear once what I have typed, and then the focus
is on the next line. Then if I press the up arrow key I get to hear the
function I just typed, not its output. For example if I type mean(x) and
then I press enter I will hear "[5]" if it is the mean of x. Then I will
hear ">". Now if I want to find out what was the mean of x by pressing the
up arrow key, I will only hear mean(x) and I will not hear [5]. My screen
reader does provide options to use different cursors to read command lines.
but if I have typed median(x) sd(x) var(x) length(x) after typing mean(x),
it takes a long time before I can move my cursor to the location where I can
hear the mean of x. If the results of the commands can be diverted to MS
Word it becomes comparatively easy for me to quickly move forward and
backward in the document. Following suggestion of Gregory Snow, I will look
at emacs. I could not find the txtStart function and TeachingDemos package
after typing TxtStart() and library(TeachingDemos) I am unable to decide how
to use the code provided by David Winsemius. Should I just copy that to
console and it will start to divert the output to a txt or a .doc file?

Thank you once again to all of those who have participated in this thread.
Faiz.