[R] Regarding the 'R' Load Command

Godavarthi, Murali MGodavarthi at dpscs.state.md.us
Wed May 19 17:40:00 CEST 2010

Hi Steve,

Thanks so much for your inputs! I was actually trying to implement your
suggestions, I get the below error (please see the results of predict
command below).

What we are trying to do is to feed in values for about 23
characteristics of an individual, and use the randomForest() function to
determine if the individual is a violent offender. Expected output is 0
or 1, indicating yes/no.

Am I going wrong again? Here is what I was doing:

1) Created a text file with following data:
"imurder" "itheft" "irobbery" "iassault" "idrug" "iburglary" "igun"
"psych" "Freq" "priors" "firstage" "intage" "sex" "race" "marstat"
"empac" "educ" "zipcode" "suspendmn" "drugs" "alco" "probation" "parole"
"10" 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 58 19 19 "1" "BLACK" "SINGLE" "UNEMPLD" 0 21215 0
0 0 1 0

The above format in which the text file was created is in the same
format as the one which is already working, but has characteristics of
about 290 individuals fed-in instead of just one individual as above.
Not sure why this doesn't work!

2) Executed the below command sequence:

> library(randomForest)
randomForest 4.5-34
Type rfNews() to see new features/changes/bug fixes.

> load("C://Program Files//R//R-2.10.1//bin//rfoutput")

> testmurali<-read.table("ex.data",T)

> load(testmurali)
Error in load(testmurali) : bad 'file' argument

> load("testmurali")

> names(testmurali)
 [1] "imurder"   "itheft"    "irobbery"  "iassault"  "idrug"
"iburglary" "igun"      "psych"     "Freq"      "priors"
[11] "firstage"  "intage"    "sex"       "race"      "marstat"   "empac"
"educ"      "zipcode"   "suspendmn" "drugs"
[21] "alco"      "probation" "parole"

> predict(rfoutput,newdata=testmurali,type="response")
Error in predict.randomForest(rfoutput, newdata = testmurali, type =
"response") :
  Type of predictors in new data do not match that of the training data.

The model rfoutput used in the above predict command is also based on a
working example with similar data.

Also, does load command accept a data string input directly (without
storing it into a file and then providing path of the file as a string)?

Please suggest. Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,
Murali Godavarthi
410-585-3746 (w)