[R] Generating all possible models from full model

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Wed May 19 20:39:44 CEST 2010

Frank E Harrell Jr <f.harrell <at> Vanderbilt.Edu> writes:

> Please read the large number of notes in the e-mail archive about the
> invalidity of such modeling procedures.
>
> Frank

  I'm curious: do you have an objection to multi-model averaging
a la Burnham, Anderson, and White (as implemented in the MuMIn
package)?  i.e., *not* just picking the
best model, and *not* trying to interpret statistical significance
of particular coefficients, but trying to maximize predictive
capability by computing the AIC values of many candidate models
and weighting predictions accordingly (and incorporating among-model variation
when computing prediction uncertainty)?  (I would look for the
answer in your book, but I have lost my copy by loaning it out
& haven't got a new one yet ...)