[R] offset in gam and spatial scale of variables

Lucia Rueda lucia.rueda at ba.ieo.es
Wed May 19 10:37:02 CEST 2010

Hi,

We are analizing the relationship between the abundance of groupers in line
transects and some variables. We are using the quasipoisson distribution. Do
we need to include the length of the transects as an offset if they all have
the same length??

Also, can we include in the gam models variables that are measured at
different spatial scales? We have done an analysis to see what variables are
better for different sizes of buffers around the transect lines and some
variables are better at different scales. Can we run the gam model with
several explanatory variables if they are measured at different spatial
scales?

Thanks,

Lucia