[R] issues with R Library on a Server

Daisy Englert Duursma daisy.duursma at gmail.com
Wed May 19 06:02:46 CEST 2010

Hello,

Thanks for your help so far, I am still having the same problem but I
think I am getting closer. Just to recap, since setting up R on my
server, so that everyone shares a common Library, I have had issues
getting packages to load. Here is an example with the package
survival. I have the survival package in my library but....

>library(survival)
Error in library.dynam(lib, package, package.lib) :
  shared library 'survival' not found
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'survival'

>utils:::menuInstallPkgs()
# downloaded survival
The downloaded packages are in
        C:\Users\Daisy
Englert\AppData\Local\Temp\2\RtmpObE4EY\downloaded_packages

# load the package again
library(survival)
Error in get(Info[i, 1], envir = env) :
  cannot allocate memory block of size 3.0 Gb
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'survival'

This is were it gets weird. If I restart R and load survival it works
perfectly.  I do not get it.
There is one funny thing though and it has to do with forwards and back slashes.

> .libPaths()[1]
[1] "C:\\RLIBRARY"

#TWO BACK SLASHES

> packageDescription("survival")
Title: Survival analysis, including penalised likelihood.

-- File: C:\RLIBRARY/survival/Meta/package.rds

#ONE BACK SLASH AND THE REST ARE FORWARD SLASHES

In the environmental variable on the server I set R_LIBS to C:\RLIBRARY.
Is that correct?

Any ideas on what the problem may be and why it fixes itself if I restart R?

Thanks,
Daisy