[R] Maximization of quadratic forms

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Wed May 19 04:52:06 CEST 2010

Hi Taki,

This should be doable with "gnls" by properly specifying the `weights' argument, although I cannot figure out how to do it without spending much time (someone like Doug Bates would know for sure).

But let me ask you:  did you try the straightforward nonlinear optimization (e.g. optim)?  Did you run into any convergence problems?  Did it take way too much time?

If \mu(\beta) is not a nasty function, you should be able to provide analytic gradient for your objective function.  This would make nonlinear optimization quite efficient.

Ravi.

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor,
School of Medicine