[R] BRugs under Linux?

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Tue May 18 17:48:14 CEST 2010

On 17.05.2010 18:46, Kevin E. Thorpe wrote:
> Hello.
>
> In this post:
>
> http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/Rhelp10/2010-March/233815.html
>
> Uwe Ligges suggests using BRugs rather than R2WinBUGS under windows. He
> also notes that it is not in the main CRAN repository, but it is in
> "extras" which is a default repository under windows.
>
> I have OpenBUGS 3.1.0 (the latest that has a native Linux version which
> is no longer called linBUGS) installed on my Linux box and would like to
> interact with it from R. I see posts on this from 2009, but these
> predate the 3.1.0 version, so I'm wonering if there is anything new here.
>
> Is BRugs the recommended approach from Linux? If so, the required
> repository is not a default on my installation. What is the address of
> the repository where this will be found? If BRugs is not the best
> solution from Linux, can anyone suggest a better alternative?

OpenBUGS 3.0.3 (which is linked in BRugs) did not work under Linux (at
least not on arbitrary Linux systems, some people claim to got it
working), hence there is no such BRugs version for Linux.

Currently, BRugs is being restructured for the new OpenBUGS version
(thanks to the great help by Chris Jackson) and I am rather confident
that we get a new BRugs version out within a month or two that *may*
work under Linux as well. But I cannot yet promise the latter.

Best wishes,
Uwe