[R] Fatal error that doesn't let me start R

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue May 18 17:21:46 CEST 2010

On 18/05/2010 10:51 AM, gbrenes at ssc.wisc.edu wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> I have R installed in my computer.  I guess I did something in my previous
> session, and now every time I start R, I find the following message:
>
> "Fatal error: unable to restore saved data in .RData"
>
> I uninstalled R and installed it again and I'm still getting this message.
>
> Can anyone help me?

You likely have an object in the .RData file which can't be loaded,
because it relies on a package you no longer have.  You can run R with
the --vanilla command line option and it won't try to load .RData, then
reinstall all of your packages, and that might fix things.
Alternatively, just delete the .RData file, and the problem will go away
(but so will your data.)

Duncan Murdoch