[R] Splines under tension

sam.e sam.engwell at bristol.ac.uk
Sun May 16 19:12:30 CEST 2010

Thank you for the helpful direction to the smoothing splines function, it was
very helpful and is exactly what i am trying to do. My data however is 3-D,
i.e. i have x and y values which are coordinates for different field sites
and z values which are really what I am interested in analysing with
interpolation. This has posed a problem with many of the spline functions in
R. Even if i input my coordinate data as a matrix as my 'x' value and my
site data as my 'y' values i get the following error:

Error in xy.coords(x, y) : 'x' and 'y' lengths differ

I have made sure that there are the same amount of values and that they are
all of the same type, i.e. numeric but with little luck and i am a bit lost
as to what to try next. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sam