[R] a question about "latex" in Hmisc

Shi, Tao shidaxia at yahoo.com
Wed May 12 21:18:42 CEST 2010

Hi list,

Excuse me b/c this is probably a more "TeX" then "R"
question.

I've been using "latex" function in my .Rnw file to
generate tables, but I've always been using it without assigning the
result to a object, i.e.

x <- matrix(1:6, nrow=2,
dimnames=list(c('a','b'),c('c','d','this that')))
latex(x)

so, I always get the error window (attached) poped out.  But since I can
just click OK and everything seems fine except in my working directory I get a bunch of "junk" files (.log, .dvi, etc...), I've been ignoring
it.

Now I know by doing e.g. tmp <- latex(x) will suppress
this error message, but I'm still curious on how to get rid of the error window when I just use latex(x).   I read the "Example" section of
"latex" help file and I tried to include the following into my PATH:

"C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.7\tex\latex"

but that didn't work.

I'm
using R.2.11.0, Hmisc 3.7, and MiKtex 2.7 on WinXP.

Thanks!

...Tao