[R] Finding different hues for a mosaic plot compatible with grayscale printing

Simon Kiss sjkiss at gmail.com
Wed May 12 11:34:05 CEST 2010

I'm working with the following code below to generate a
how do I set the h,c, and l values such that the significant, positive
residuals appear different on a grayscale printer from significant
grayscale residuals.  The challenge as I see it is that one can only
distinguish the positive and negative residuals with the hue/. Varying
the chroma and the luminance only affect the distinctions between
large and small and significant and non significant.  But my positive
and negative residuals are both large (absolutely) and significant,
meaning that they will have the same chroma and luminosity, but
different hues.
I guess the key here is to find two separate hue values that appear
substantially different *on a grayscale printer* at the same chroma
and luminance. I have read through Zeileis et al. (2007, 2008) but
can't quite find the answer there.
I have also tried the Friendly shading to vary the line type, but I
can't find line types that are different enough to communicate the
difference between positive and negative residuals clearly.

Your assistance is appreciated.

 >mosaic(~educ+trade_off_scaled, shade=TRUE, main="Support For
Environmental Protection At The Expense of Creating Jobs By
Education", gp=shading_hcl(CST17$observed, CST17$expected, ASR17,
df=6, h=c(260,0), c=c(100,0), l=c(90,0)),
labeling_args=list(rot_labels=c(25,90,0,0), offset_labels=c(1,0,0,2),
offset_varnames=c(2,0,0,4),
set_varnames=c(trade_off_scaled="Protecting The Environment Is More
Important Than Creating Jobs", educ="Level of Education")))

Simon J. Kiss, PhD
SSHRC and DAAD Post-Doctoral Fellow
John F. Kennedy Institute of North America Studies
Free University of Berlin
Lansstraße 7-9
14195 Berlin, Germany
Cell: +49 (0)1525-300-2812,