[R] summing items within a row

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed May 12 06:09:42 CEST 2010

On May 11, 2010, at 8:36 PM, Q wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to figure out how to do a sum of items within a row.  For
> example, I have a data frame something like this:
>
>    A1 B1 ... A2 B2 ...
> 1   1   4        1  4
> 2   2   5        2  5
> 3   3   6        3  6
>
> What I want, is for each row, to get A1 + A2, B1 + B2, etc. which
> would,
> perhaps, give me a vector something like this c(2, 8, ... 4, 10 ...
> 6, 12).

Addition of matrices with the "+" operator should give you a matrix
which would have the corresponding sums. Because matrices are really
vectors that are read in column order you might need to transpose
before you read them out with c().

As always properly formed examples would be appreciated and the form
of the appreciation would probably take the form of tested code.

--
David.