[R] P values

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Tue May 11 23:37:02 CEST 2010

Bak,

I think that you are focusing too much on strict definitions rather than on understanding the concepts.  Definitions are important to make sure that we are consistent, but understanding is more important.

The main idea behind p-values and other forms of hypothesis testing is a measure of consistency between a null hypothesis and the observed data.  We don't prove things to be true, we just prove (or gain evidence against) the null hypothesis false.

For example if my null hypothesis is that the coin I am about to flip is 2 headed (no tails) and I flip the coin once and see a head, then the observed data (1 head) and my hypothesis (100% chance of heads) are consistent with each other (p-value=1.00), but does this prove that the coin is 2 headed? No, a single flip resulting in heads is also consistent with the hypothesis that it is a fair coin (50% chance of heads, p-value=0.5).  I have proven that it is not a two-tailed coin (0% chance of heads, p-value=0.0000), but not what it is.  If I flip it 2 more times and get heads each time then my data is still consistent with a hypothesis of 2 heads, but it is still reasonably consistent with the hypothesis of a fair coin (p-value=0.125) and disproves neither.  If I flip a tail then I have disproven the 2 heads hypothesis, but could still be consistent with the fair coin, or a large range of biased coins.  Some people have flipped a coin thousands of times and saw heads close to (but not exactly) 50% of the time.  This does not prove that the coin will come up heads exactly 50% of the times, just shows that the data is consistent with that hypothesis, but there are other values close to 50% that are also consistent with that data.  Small p-values indicate a hypothesis and data that are not very consistent and for small enough p-values we would rather disbelieve the hypothesis (though it may still be theoretically possible).  If I flip a coin 100 times and get 60 heads, then I am unlikely to have been in a situation where heads had a 50% chance (the coin may be biased, or I am not flipping it well, or ...).

For any hypothesis that is consistent with the data, there are a number of other hypotheses that are similar to that hypothesis that we cannot prove inconsistent with the data (the number of these is usually a small infinity).  A linear subset of these forms a confidence interval.  So when I do a test using a specific null hypothesis, I don't necessarily believe that everything matches exactly, just that reality is close enough for me not to care about the differences (the central limit theorem may require infinite sample size to get exact normality, but often it is close enough for much smaller sample sizes).

And small p-values do not measure the goodness of the model, just that the null hypothesis is not consistent with the data.  If you are looking at 2 studies where the 1st has a large sample size and finds a correlation of 0.1 significant with a p-value of 0.000001 and the other finds a correlation of 0.9 with a p-value of 0.01, I would call the 2nd one the stronger relationship even with the higher p-value (though comparing confidence intervals would be even more informative).

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org