[R] Revolution R and the R Community?

ivo welch ivowel at gmail.com
Tue May 11 17:08:09 CEST 2010

As an end-user, I wonder about Revolution R.  Is the relationship
between Revolution R and the R community at-large a positive one?  Do
the former contribute to the development efforts of the latter?  Is
there a competitive aspect?  is their forum competitive with r-help?
any other thoughts?  (most of all, I simply hope that they help some
of the many helpful experts on this forum, who have volunteered their
expertise to help me so many times.)

as for me, I discovered Revolution a few days ago.  they did not have
an OSX enterprise version, so I downloaded the community version.
alas, after installation, starting up their GUI interface, I
immediately get
    Error in library(Revobase) : there is no package called 'Revobase'
I tried to sign up for their forum, but the forum email responder
seems to be dead.  (I sent them an email, but have not heard back
yet.)  someone else here tried out their enterprise version on a linux
machine, but it had ugly problems in the creation of the top-level
Makefile.  so, my initial impression is not overwhelming.  are they
for real?

regards,

/iaw

----