[R] apply formula to data?

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Tue May 11 15:09:48 CEST 2010

Is the problem that you want to use the formula as if it were a
function?  In that case:

1. nls2 in the nls2 package is like nls but its extensions include a
brute force algorithm which simply computes the formula at the
starting values:

> my.formula <- y ~ a+b*x^2
> y <- x <- 1:10
> library(nls2)
> fitted(nls2(my.formula, start = c(a = 2, b = 3), alg = "brute"))
 [1]   5  14  29  50  77 110 149 194 245 302
attr(,"label")
[1] "Fitted values"

2. Also fn$ in the gsubfn package can be used to convert a formula to
a function.  If there is no left hand side, LHS, then it is assumed
that the arguments are the free variables in the right hand side.  See
http://gsubfn.googlecode.com

> library(gsubfn)
> fo <- my.formula
> fo[[2]] <- NULL  # zap LHS