[R] predict() without generating the model within R

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue May 11 00:41:33 CEST 2010

On 10/05/2010 6:13 PM, Chaudhari, Bimal wrote:
> Is there a predict method/syntax which I could use to generate
> predictions (and other output from predict() methods) if I have the
> model parameter estimates from a training dataset but not the data used
> to generate the original model (the models were generated by a
> collaborator using STATA and for IRB reasons I am not allowed
> independent access to the original data)?  I have the new/testing data
> upon which I wish to base my predictions.

That depends on what model is being fit, but in general I'd say it would
be impractical to put together enough information for predict() to work
properly.  However, you can do predictions for many models just from
their definition, and you may have enough information to calculate
errors as well.  But you'll need to program the formulas yourself.

Duncan Murdoch