[R] matrix cross product in R different from cross product in Matlab

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sat May 8 23:40:20 CEST 2010

Susanne Schmidt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been searching all sorts of documentation, reference cards, cheat
> sheets but can't find why R's
> crossprod(A, B) which is identical to A%*%B

If you read the help page ?crossprod, you'll see it is supposed to be
identical to t(A) %*% B.
> does not produce the same as Matlabs
> cross(A, B)
> Supposedly both calculate the cross product, and say so, or where do I
> go wrong?

They are following different definitions for "cross product".  The R
definition is the statistical one, e.g. what is described here:
http://stattrek.com/matrix-algebra/sums-of-squares.aspx .  The one you
describe below is the one from 3 dimensional vector geometry.  You can
get that one in R in a few different packages, but it's not really used
much in statistics, so it's not in base R.  (It's called xprod in RFOC
and RSEIS, extprod3d in geometry.)

Duncan Murdoch