[R] What is the best way to have "R" output tables in an MS

John Kane jrkrideau at yahoo.ca
Fri May 7 14:45:15 CEST 2010

Let me see. I open a Word document and type,

Dear Dr.Harrell,

I open a new LaTeX document and type something like:

\documentclass[10pt,a4paper]{letter}
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{amsfonts}
\usepackage{amssymb}
\address{your name and address}
\signature{your signature}
\begin{document}
\begin{letter}{name and address of the recipient}
\opening{saying hello}

Dear Dr Harrell,

For a manager or secretary who is panicky at the thought of using a computer and who thinks of it as a glorified typewriter, which one wins?

I think it was the initial investment in learning how to use the software.  A simple WYSIWYG interface is learnable (is this a word?) in a few moments even if it may lead to some horrible results later.

LaTex looks incredibly complicated to someone used to a fountain pen and an IBM Selectric typewriter (which was "the" high tec way of producing most documents in late 1960s and 1970s.

Heck,when I learned to type we didn't even have electric typewriters!