[R] polar.plot text labels for data points

Tali tvardi at ucsd.edu
Wed May 5 19:24:24 CEST 2010

Hello All.

I am using polar.plot from the {plotrix} library to visualize individual
coral colonies, dying, growing, etc through time. These coral colonies, that
I visit annually happen to be delineated by a circular plot underwater;
hence polar.plot is the best way to visualize my data. (I.e. This is not
cyclical data that I am plotting.) I am trying to label individual data
points (which correspond to actual coral colonies) with their identifying
tag numbers. I have searched and searched and found no polar.plot with text
labels on data points.

I tried to coerce the "text" function (code below). But no dice.

   D = runif(29,0,7)         #Distance from center of circular plot (in
meters)
   H = runif(29,0,360)      #Compass heading to center of circular plot (in
degrees)

   polar.plot(D, H,rp.type = "dots", start = 90, point.col = "red")

   TagID = 200:228          #Labels of individual coral colonies
   text(D,H,TagID)            #lame attempt at coercing the text function

Is it possible to add text labels to data points in polar.plot?

Any assistance will help save an endangered species. (Really!)
Thank you!

Sincerely,
Tali Vardi, PhD Candidate
Center for Marine Biodiversity and Conservation
Scripps Institution of Oceanography