[R] Estimating theta for negative binomial model

Tim Clark mudiver1200 at yahoo.com
Tue May 4 01:03:57 CEST 2010

Dear List,

I am trying to do model averaging for a negative binomial model using the package AICcmodavg.  I need to use glm() since the package does not accept glm.nb() models.  I can get glm() to work if I first run glm.nb and take theta from that model, but is there a simpler way to estimate theta for the glm model?  The two models are:

mod.nb<-glm.nb(mantas~site,data=mydata)
mod.glm<-glm(mantas~site,data=mydata, family=negative.binomial(mod.nb$theta))

How else can I get theta for the family=negative.binomial(theta=???)

Thanks!

Tim

Tim Clark
Department of Zoology