[R] LMER docuentation could be improved WAS: Re: getting parts returned by lmer

John Sorkin jsorkin at grecc.umaryland.edu
Mon May 3 22:44:06 CEST 2010

Many thanks to both David and Ista. I think that my question regarding extracting items returned from  lmer points out a weakness of R, viz. less than perfect documentation. I know that R is written by volunteers, all of whom I cherish, yet having to ask the listserve for a question as basic as how to extract items from a function is an unfortunate happenstance, especially after one spends time reading the man page for the function. The man page should explain how to extract pertinent information! There is even a prior standard, i.e. use names(), get the names of the returned objects than access an item using $item notation, e.g. fit1$coefficients for lm. Does anyone know whom can be asked to moify the man page? Can the maintainer of lmer modify the function so it follows previous standards? I ask these questions in the spirit of improving R.
John

John David Sorkin M.D., Ph.D.
Chief, Biostatistics and Informatics
University of Maryland School of Medicine Division of Gerontology
Baltimore VA Medical Center
10 North Greene Street
GRECC (BT/18/GR)
Baltimore, MD 21201-1524
(Phone) 410-605-7119
(Fax) 410-605-7913 (Please call phone number above prior to faxing)>>> Ista Zahn <istazahn at gmail.com> 5/3/2010 10:26 AM >>>
Hi John,
David's advice is probably sufficient, but I thought I would just add
the following example, showing how to find out what extractor
functions have been defined for a particular s4 class:

class(fm2) #find out the class of fm2 ("mer")
showMethods(classes="mer") # find out what methods are defined for
objects of class "mer". Notice that one of the defined methods is
"coef". Notice also that methods "fixef" and "ranef" are also defined.

fixef(fm2) #extract fixed effect coefficients
ranef(fm2) #extract random effects coefficients

coef(fm2) #extract "coefficients" (sum of fixed and random effects).