[R] generating correlated random variables from different distributions

Richard and Barbara Males rbmales at gmail.com
Sun May 2 21:36:56 CEST 2010

Thank you for your reply.  The application is a Monte Carlo simulation
in environmental planning.   Different possible remediation measures
have different costs, and produce different results.  For example, a
$20,000 plan may add 10 acres of wetlands and 12 acres of bird
habitat.  The desire is to describe the uncertainty in the cost and
the outputs (acres of wetlands, acres of bird habitat) by
distributions.  The cost may be described by a normal distribution,
mean $20k,  $5k SD, and the 12 acres of birds may be described by a
uniform distribution (10 to 14).  [These are just examples, not
representative of a real problem].  We may know (or think) that
wetlands and bird habitat are positively correlated (0.6), and that
there is a stronger correlation of both with cost (0.85).  So the
effort is to generate, through MCS, values at each iteration of cost,
acres of wetland, and acres of bird habitat, such that the resultant
values give the same correlation, and the values of cost, bird habitat
and wetland habitat return the input distributions.  The overall
desire is compare different remediation measures, taking into account
uncertainty in costs and results.

One possible approach (although I have not tried it yet, but will do
so in the near future) is to generate, for each iteration, three
independent (0,1) random variables, correlate them via the Cholesky
approach, and use them as input to the inverse normal, inverse
uniform, etc. to get the three variables for each iteration.  The
primary distributions of interest are normal, uniform, triangular,
gamma, and arbitrary cdf, so this approach seems plausible in that
inverse distributions are readily available.

Thanks in advance.

Dick Males
Cincinnati, OH, USA