[R] Using the get() function on an object within a list

klc kcurti at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 30 23:23:58 CEST 2010

Hi-

I am trying use the get function to return the value of an object within a
list.  As an abbreviated example:

"original" represents a list of several objects, one of which is "a.1".
   original<-vector('list',5)
   names(original) <- c("a.1","a.2","a.3","b.1","b.2")
   original$a.1 <- c(4,3)

When I enter:
  original$a.1
R returns the following vector
  [1] 4 3
however, when I enter:
  get("original$a.1")
R returns the following error:
  "Error in get("original$a.1") : object 'original$a.1' not found"

Does anyone happen to know how to resolve this error?

I pose this question because ultimately I would like to use the get function
to convert particular objects within "original" into separate lists as:
   species <- c(1,2,3)
   A <- vector('list',length(species))
   A <- lapply(paste("original$a.", species, sep=""), get)

I apologize if I missed this question in a previous post.

Many thanks-