[R] update.packages() and install.packages() does not work more because of "Error in read.dcf"

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Mar 30 22:47:17 CEST 2010

A hint: I have seen this exact error message with a build configured
to use the system's zlib 1.2.4 (which has been out for about 2 weeks),
and this incompatibility is noted in the current R 2.11.0 alpha's
manuals.

We do recommend *not* using the system zlib, but if you do insist on
doing so do be aware that R may not work with future versions of
external software.