[R] Problem comparing hazard ratios

Michal Figurski figurski at mail.med.upenn.edu
Tue Mar 30 21:45:10 CEST 2010

Dear R-Helpers,

I am a novice in survival analysis. I have the following code:
for (i in 3:12) print(coxph(Surv(time, status)~a[,i], data=a))

I used it to fit the Cox Proportional Hazard models separately for every
available parameter (columns 3:12) in my data set - with intention to
compare the Hazard Ratios.

However, some of my variables are in range 0.1 to 1.6, others in range
5000 to 9000. How do I compare HRs between such variables?

I have rescaled all the variables to be in 0 to 1 range - is this the
proper way to go? Is there a way to somehow calculate the same HRs (as
for rescaled parameters) from the HRs for original parameters?

Many thanks in advance.

--
Michal J. Figurski, PhD
HUP, Pathology & Laboratory Medicine