[R] Confusing concept of vector and matrix in R

yehengxin xye78 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 30 01:13:22 CEST 2010

Why does R need the concept of "Vector"?  In my opinion, it is a useless and
confusing concept.  A vector is simply a special case of a matrix whose row
or column number is equal to 1.  When I take submatrix from one matrix and
if row or column number is 1, R will automatically convert it into a vector.
It is very straightforward that a submatrix of a matrix should be a matrix.
In each time, I have to use as.matrix() to convert the vector back to
matrix.    It is very annoying!