[R] Problem comparing logistic regression output with SPSS.

Ravi Kulkarni ravi.kulk at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 08:56:06 CEST 2010

Hello,
   I have a logistic regression model

                          contrasts(z) = contr.helmert(4)

                          mylogit = glm(binvar~x+y+z,
family=binomial("logit"))

                          summary(mylogit)

  where x is a ratio variable, y is categorical with two levels, z is
categorical with 4 levels.

  SPSS gives me the same values for the coefficients as R for x and y. But
those for z and the intercept are different. (I did use the Helmert contrast
in SPSS too.)
  Is there some other parameter I need to specify in the model? The method
of entering variables in the model? Is that what is causing the difference?

  Thanks,
    Ravi Kulkarni