[R] Trouble loading package

Peter Ehlers ehlers at ucalgary.ca
Sun Mar 28 21:20:04 CEST 2010

I haven't seen an answer to this yet.

Your problem may stem from having defined a variable T.
I can replicate your error messages with:

  T <- "hello"
  library(RMark)

So methinks that this probably indicates that there may be
a problem with using T for TRUE (when will Rusers finally
stop doing that???).

And sure enough, after loading RMark (with no T in my
workspace), I find that the authors of RMark have replaced
base R's .First.lib with their own version which contains
the line:

info <- strsplit(library(help = pkgname, character.only = T)$info[[1]],
         "\\:[ ]+")

Note to RMark authors (and others): get used to using
TRUE and FALSE. The few characters saved by using T/F
are not worth it!

  -Peter Ehlers

On 2010-03-26 15:40, Glenn E Stauffer wrote:
> I am trying to load a package called Rmark, but when I run
>
> library(Rmark)
>
> I get the following:
>
>> library(RMark)
> Error in !character.only : invalid argument type
> Error in library(RMark) : .First.lib failed for 'RMark'
>
> When I try to load Rmark from the packages menu, I get:
>
>> local({pkg<- select.list(sort(.packages(all.available = TRUE)))
> + if(nchar(pkg)) library(pkg, character.only=TRUE)})
> Error in !character.only : invalid argument type
> Error in library(pkg, character.only = TRUE) :
>    .First.lib failed for 'RMark'
>
> Any ideas what is causing this error?
>
> My OS is Windows XP, and my R version is R.2.10.1
>
> Thanks,
> Glenn

> Glenn E. Stauffer
> Graduate Research Assistant