[R] R Cmdr memory

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sun Mar 28 15:20:12 CEST 2010

On 28/03/2010 9:03 AM, David Winsemius wrote:
> On Mar 28, 2010, at 4:35 AM, ManInMoon wrote:
>
>> Is there a 64 bit R - and where can I get hold of it for Windows
>> please?
>
> For Windows XP?, Not that I know of. There are proprietary versions
> for Vista and I believe Professor Ripley is working on an experimental
> version for the 64 bit versions of Windows.

We're planning to release 64 bit builds with R 2.11.0.  They are
currently being built as part of the test process, though the builds are
still a little irregular.  You can download from <CRAN
mirror>/bin/windows64/contrib for now, and soon from <CRAN
mirror>/bin/windows64/base.

The 64 bit versions of R will require a 64 bit version of Windows to run
on.  I think there may be 64 bit versions of XP, but they are uncommon
and I don't know if they support our builds; we're testing in 64 bit
Vista and Windows 7.

Revolution Computing also sells a build produced with a different
compiler.  It has the advantage that the compiler is probably in better
shape than the one we are using and they'll provide support with it; the
disadvantage is that they'll charge for it, and they are probably not as
up to date as us with respect to released version number.

Duncan Murdoch