[R] R, S, S-Plus, whence comes thy name?

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Fri Mar 26 19:53:39 CET 2010

John Sorkin <jsorkin <at> grecc.umaryland.edu> writes:

>  How did S, S-Plus, and R get their names?

  From

http://stat.bell-labs.com/S/

http://cm.bell-labs.com/stat/doc/94.11.ps

by Rick Becker

 By July, 1976, we decided to name the system. Acronyms were
in abundance at Bell Laboratories, so it seemed sure that we would
come up with one for our system, but no one seemed to be able to
agree with any one else's suggestion: Interactive SCS (ISCS),
Statistical Computing System (too confusing), Statistical
Analysis System (already taken), etc. In the end, we decided that
all of these names contained an `S' and, with the C programming
language as a precedent, decided to name the system `S'. (We dropped
the quotes by 1979).