[R] I have a question on nomograms.

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at Vanderbilt.Edu
Fri Mar 26 03:43:56 CET 2010

(Ted Harding) wrote:
> On 25-Mar-10 17:44:55, R Heberto Ghezzo, Dr wrote:
>> On the same topic but from a different perspective. A Nomogram or
>> better a Line Aligned Nomogram is a graph with 2 or more scales,
>> maybe linear where by alignig values in each scale you can read
>> values in the other scale. The relationship can be linear, then
>> the scales are straight lines, or functional then the scale is
>> curvilinear or even a bidimensional surface with 2 grids.
>
> This is precisely what I normally understand by "nonogram".
> Hence I was initially puzzled by ding ding's original query, asking
> about "a nomogram for bladder cancer". This got me googling, and
> I found the sort of thing you can try out at
>
>  http://www.nomogram.org
>
> They call this sort of interface "nomogram" too, and you can have
> a go at the one they offer for bladder cancer. This is not a
> graphical nomogram in the sense that you describe, rather it is
> a form-filling interface with boxes into which you insert
> information, and then press the button.

It is very curious that a site named nomogram.org would not contain a
single nomogram.  I have pointed this out to the author of the site, who
maintains that disagreements with dictionaries are inconsequential.

Frank

--
Frank E Harrell Jr   Professor and Chairman        School of Medicine