[R] no predict function in lme4 ?

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Tue Mar 23 20:48:21 CET 2010

It is not easy to decide what "predict" should return for a linear
mixed model, let alone the more complicated cases.  Do you want
predictions based on the fixed-effects only or based on a combination
of the fixed-effects and the random-effects?  For the lme function in
the nlme package we allowed "levels" of predictions but that won't
work for all models that can be fit with lme4.