[R] importing .bil files

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Mar 22 14:52:22 CET 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 12:09 PM, Sebastian Leuzinger
<sebastian.leuzinger at env.ethz.ch> wrote:
> Dear list
>
> Has anyone got a recipie at hand to import .bil files into R? From what I
> understand the .bil files I got contain layered matricies which I would lke
> to make available in R as an array or list.
>
> GIS people seem to be familiar with the .bil format but I am not using any
> GIS software and would prefer to deal with the data in R.
>
> I use the latest version of R on Mac OSX  10.5.8.

 GIS and spatial data formats can often be handled by readGDAL (for
raster grids) from the rgdal package.

 .bil files seem to be handled by the Ehdr driver in GDAL:

http://www.gdal.org/frmt_various.html

 so if your rgdal package has that driver (run gdalDrivers() to see)
then you may be sorted.

Barry