[R] Converting a character string into a data frame name and performing assignments to that data frame

Kavitha Venkatesan kavitha.venkatesan at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 22:07:59 CET 2010

Hi,

I would like to do the following operations:

variable.df is a character string that contains the name of the data
frame that I want to do the following operations on:

variable.df <- data.frame();
# I can do the above command using
assign( variable.df, data.frame() )

How can I perform the assignment statements below ?

colnames(variable.df) = colnames(some.other.df)
variable.df = rbind(variable.df, some.other.df)
write.table(variable.df, file=some.file)

Doing
eval(  substitute( colnames(var), list(var=as.name(variable.df) ) ) )
 didn't get me all the way there.

Thanks!
Kavitha