[R] Can't setup rJava under ubuntu

fgrazi fg123 at fga-software.com
Fri Mar 19 17:38:07 CET 2010

When I try to install rJava, I get the following error:

> install.packages('rJava')
  checking whether siglongjmp is declared... yes
  checking Java support in R... present:
  interpreter : '/usr/bin/java'
  archiver    : '/usr/bin/jar'
  compiler    : '/usr/bin/javac'
  header prep.: '/usr/bin/javah'
  cpp flags   : '-I/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/../include'
  java libs   : '-L/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/i386/client
-L/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/i386
-L/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/../lib/i386 -L
-L/usr/java/packages/lib/i386 -L/usr/lib/jni -L/lib -L/usr/lib -ljvm'
  checking whether JNI programs can be compiled... configure: error: Cannot
compile a simple JNI program. See config.log for details.
    e a simple JNI program. See config.log for details.

Well, there is no /usr/bin folder on my computer and I have
no idea of why install program tries to use it.

No way to use "R CMD javareconf". As a superuser I get the
message that tere is no java interpreter, as a normal uset I
get the right configuration, but then

So I manually edited /etc/R/Makeconf (

So install abends and I try to use "R CMD javareconf" and I still get the
error:
Cannot compile a simple JNI program. See config.log for details.
    e a simple JNI program. See config.log for details.

But I can't find any config.log file so I am unable to understand what is
the
error! Can the log be redirected to console?

Any suggestion on how to find config.log?

Any suggestion on having R working with java under Ubuntu?

Any idea of where I can find some kind of documentation?