[R] recommendations on use of -> operator

Emmanuel Charpentier charpent at bacbuc.dyndns.org
Fri Mar 19 00:21:16 CET 2010

Le jeudi 18 mars 2010 à 15:49 -0400, Duncan Murdoch a écrit :
> On 18/03/2010 3:10 PM, Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:
> > An old (Lisp ? C ?) quote, whose author escapes me now, was :
> >
> > "syntactic sugar causes cancer of the semicolon"
> >
> > .. but nowadays semicolons are rarely used in "real-life" R.
> >
> > 					Emmanuel Charpentier
> >
> > PS and, BTW, neither C nor Lisp have much use for semicolons... Was that
> > Pascal (or one of its spawns) ?
>
> Not sure what you mean about C:  it's a statement terminator there.
> Pascal also uses it, but as a statement separator.

Quite right ! And I know I'm falling in that trap every time I don't
code in C for more than a few weeks (it has been three months, now...).
That's probably because this "end-of-statement" role desn't strike my
psyche as important enough... (And maybe because Lisp and, to a lesser
extend, Pascal were my computer "mother tongues", APL a serious crush
and Fortran something of an "(almost)-read-only" acquaintance).

Nice thinko...

					Emmanuel Charpentier
					Still recovering...