[R] recommendations on use of -> operator

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 18 13:00:31 CET 2010

-> is usually only used when you suddenly remember you wanted to keep
result of a computation, especially in the days before command-line
editors were universal.

fn(a,b) ... oh I'd better keep that ... -> z

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010, Dan Kelley wrote:

> I have never used   ->  but I noticed at
>
> 	http://github.com/jiho/r-utils/blob/master/beamer_colors.R
>
> that some people do.

> In fact, the above-named code has a sort of elegance about it
(except
for the use of "=" for assignment...).  To my eye,  ->   calls to mind a type of assignment that is meant to stand out.  For example, perhaps it would make sense to use  ->  to assign to things that are not expected to vary through the rest of the code block.