[R] Sweave and kile

Sharpie chuck at sharpsteen.net
Thu Mar 18 01:07:10 CET 2010

pomchip wrote:

> Dear R-users,
>
> I want to give a try to Sweave and Latex but I am having some problems
> compiling my .Rnw files within Kile. I have followed the recommendations
> given in http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/e5/help/08/10/4277, but they do
> not seem to address my particular problem.
>
> I am using R 2.11.0 and Kile v 2.0.83 on an OpenSUSE11.2 installation (KDE
> 4.3 environment). According to the log (see below), Kile is unable to
> locate
> the Sweave.sty file (which is actually stored in /usr/lib/R/share/texmf/).
>
> Any advise would be welcome.
>
> Sebastien
>
> {snip}
>
> ! LaTeX Error: File `Sweave.sty' not found.
>
> Type X to quit or <RETURN> to proceed,

Sweave uses a LaTeX style file, Sweave.sty, via \usepackage{Sweave} to
format R input/output in the final report.  It looks like this file is not
on your LaTeX search path.  I believe it can be found in:

  R_HOME/share/texmf

You could try:

  mkdir ~/texmf
  ln -s $R_HOME/share/texmf/Sweave.sty /home/<your user
name>/texmf/Sweave.sty
  texhash

As LaTeX will usually include ~/texmf as a place it will look for style
files on Linux.  The texhash command will cause the database of available
files to be rebuilt.  If the command:

  kpsewhich Sweave.sty

Returns nothing, then LaTeX won't be able to find the file Sweave.sty during
compilation unless it is in the same folder as the .tex file you are
compiling.

Hope this helps!

-Charlie

-----
Charlie Sharpsteen
Undergraduate-- Environmental Resources Engineering
Humboldt State University